Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2011

Pleading to be alone

Even as a child, I always loved being alone. Nowadays that I know about my highly sensitive nature, I realise that these times alone were and still are essential for the survival of my mental state.

First of all, it is important to recognise the difference between being alone and loneliness. You can feel lonely at a party full of people. But being alone really means being alone.

Being alone is often called "seclusion" which suggests that the state of being together with others is normal and that being alone is in fact more of an exception.

People are of course social beings but nowadays there is almost a pressure to be together with others. It is seen as somewhat uncool to be alone or to want to be alone. After a day of dealing with people at work, many use the TV, radio and internet to come into contact with others at home.

Don't get me wrong, I use this media too, even quite extensively at times. But if they are only used as distraction to ensure that we don't have the feeling of being alone out of fear for who we might meet in that solitary place, we lose a piece of our identity – the feeling of who we are. After all, you are much more than just the colleague of... or the friend of... You are you!

And I would strongly urge you to do the following: Enjoy yourself alone!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen